I love our little girl she's silly, tough, strong willed, smart. . .everything we as parents could ask for.
In talking about how we can love our kids well most of you moms have this down pat. So this first part isn't necessarily for you but for the moms to be or young moms with babies.
Be goofy with them. As a family and as often as you can. These years of childhood are going to vanish before your eyes and before you know it they will be teens, or college majors, or parents themselves.
The picture below we took on our camping trip. This was right before we went fishing on the lake in front of us. The trip costed us about $300 including gas and food. It was a well worth every single penny.
On that note, having fun doesn't mean you always have to go somewhere. It just means you have to be present. I had a graphic on my phone for a few months that said: "BE PRESENT" as a reminder when I was checking something on my phone to re-direct my attention on the things that really mattered.
In the next image we were stuck inside on a cold valentines day so we made homemade glue-gak. (Seriously best thing ever. . . I wanted to make some for me!!)
These moments may not mean much to her now, or your child, but when she grows up she will know that she was loved and that we made every effort possible to lace the beginning of her life story with good wholesome experiences.
Another thing in loving your kids well is providing them with the biblical discipline that they need. She may be strong willed not but you know what that means? That later on in her life God is going to use that to shape her into the adult HE wants her to be.
Being youth pastors for 6 1/2 years we have always taken her mission outings to feed the homeless, minister to the elderly, pass out water to strangers. . .we want to as parents honor the scripture in Proverbs 22:6:
6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.
The most important thing though in loving your child well is to pray over them.
Sometimes I walk around the house at night and anoint my whole house including her doorway with oil. Then I pray over her.
I found these prayer points from Proverbs 31 Ministries about praying over your children. They are strong and powerful.
For your daughters pray:
1. Let her learn early in life that to obey You, God, is the best way to the life her heart truly desires (1 Samuel 15:22).
2. May she find comfort in Your ability, God, to reach her, hold her and rescue her (2 Samuel 22:17-18).
3. Let her find confidence in You, God, even when hard times come and she doesn't know what to do, by keeping her eyes fixed on You (2 Chronicles 20:12).
4. May she keep herself under control and not give full vent to people and situations that anger her (Proverbs 29:11).
5. Let her walk in the security of Your assigned worth to her. Give her a strong work ethic and health to accomplish all her tasks. Give her a heart that desires to extend her hand to those in need. Protect her for the right husband, a man of respect and godly honor. And let her be a woman of joy and laughter whose Christ-centered character is what makes her most beautiful (Proverbs 31).
For your sons pray:
1. Create in my son a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within him (Psalm 51:10).
2. May my son walk after You, God, and fear You and keep Your commandments and obey Your voice. May he serve You and hold fast to You (Deuteronomy 13:4).
3. May my son be strong and courageous and not fear or be in dread, for it is You, Lord, our God, who goes with him. You will never leave him or forsake him (Deuteronomy 31:6).
4. May my son walk before You, God, as King David walked, with integrity of heart and uprightness, doing according to all that You have commanded him, and keeping Your statutes and rules (1 Kings 9:4).
5. Like Timothy, may my son be an example to believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity (1 Timothy 4:12).
Whatever you invest in them is what will come out. There's no perfect way but follow God's plan for you as a parent but with God on your side you'll be just fine :)